‘Problems you solve versus problems you manage’ is a concept that was developed by relationship expert, John Gottman. It was an eye-opener to me when I first learned that some problems are not always resolvable, and that that in itself is not a problem. But if we don’t need to solve problems, then what?
While problems are an inherent part of life and we can’t ever escape them, what you may not know is that some problems are unsolvable. Trying to solve them is only leading to you spending time and energy trying to fix something that doesn’t actually need to be fixed, when you could manage them instead. And this is the game-changing concept I’m sharing with you today.
Join me this week as I offer you tools and ideas for navigating your problems differently so you don’t fixate on solving something that’s unresolvable, but rather focus your attention on managing them. You’ll hear what happens when you constantly strive to fix an unsolvable problem, what happens when you stop, and my 6-step process for managing your problems.
I have created a membership program dedicated to supporting women lawyers, just like you, in your practice and your personal life. We open on January 1st 2023, and I’m going to help you create an even greater impact in your own life, and the lives of those around you, so stay tuned for more details and click here to get on the waitlist!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What happens when you’re constantly striving to solve an unsolvable problem.
- Examples of problems in your practice that might not be solvable, and how that’s not a problem.
- How to redefine what a problem means to you.
- The difference between problems you solve versus problems you manage.
- 6 steps for managing problems so you’re not wasting time and energy on something unsolvable.
- The results you’ll create when you stop trying to solve an unsolvable problem.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Want to get in touch with me? You can do so by clicking here or reaching out to me on LinkedIn
- If you are interested in learning more about the work I do with lawyers, click here and send me a note, I would love to hear from you.
- John Gottman
- Shawn Achor
- Ep #3: How to Find the Joy in Your Work
- Ep #78: How to Regulate Your Emotions in Difficult Situations with Bena Stock
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify and Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!