How have you used the skill of delayed gratification to get to where you are today? Maybe it was social invitations you turned down to study, or going to law school so you can put off the gratification of having a well-compensated job you love. There are probably many examples in your life where you’ve practiced delayed gratification to have a larger payoff in the future.
Delayed gratification has been the subject of a number of studies, and we’ve seen evidence of a correlation between it and success. Practicing this skill might give you a rush as you achieve goal after goal, and you might justify making sacrifices at your own expense. However, you can become so good at delayed gratification that you end up having no gratification at all.
So this week, I’m showing you three types of situations I’ve come across where delayed gratification becomes zero gratification, and why there is a shadow side to this skill. You’ll hear how to start using it in a more strategic way, so you can intentionally bring more satisfaction and pleasure into your day-to-day, instead of pushing it off into the distant future.
I have created a group coaching program dedicated to supporting women lawyers, just like you, in your practice and your personal life. We open on January 1st 2023, and I’m going to help you create an even greater impact in your own life, and the lives of those around you, so stay tuned for more details and click here to get on the waitlist!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What the concept of delayed gratification means.
- 3 types of situations I’ve seen in my practice where delayed gratification becomes zero gratification.
- The shadow side of the skill of delayed gratification.
- A step-by-step process to help you recalibrate in the direction you want to go.
- My tips on how to use the skill of delayed gratification in a strategic way.
- What is required of you to use delayed gratification differently, especially if you default to zero gratification.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Want to get in touch with me? You can do so by clicking here or reaching out to me on LinkedIn
- If you are interested in learning more about the work I do with lawyers, click here and send me a note, I would love to hear from you.
- Stanford Marshmallow Experiment
- Ep #3: How to Find the Joy in Your Work
- Ep #12: How to Be “Wildly” Successful
- Ep #37: How to Set Boundaries with Ease
- Ep #42: How to Create Your Dream Job
- Ep #54: Defining Your Legacy for Inspiration, Direction, and Impact
- Ep #74: Leadership, Confidence and Stepping into Authority
- Ep #80: 3 Playful Ways to Win Your Power Back
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify and Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!