Do you ever wonder why things seem to run much more smoothly when you’re busy? Why do you easily knock things off your to-do list with precision and efficiency in periods of busyness? And why does it feel extra challenging to get things done when there isn’t the same sense of urgency?
If you have trouble getting focused when things in your practice slow down or when there isn’t an immediate time pressure, you are not alone. This is a real challenge that lawyers and other professionals experience when it comes to time management. The truth is, there’s a simple reason why we can’t be productive or motivated to take action unless there’s urgency, and this week, I’m showing you how to recalibrate your sense of urgency to flip the power dynamic.
Tune in this week to discover how to manufacture a false sense of urgency so you can avoid true urgency. I’m exploring how we rely on urgency as a cue to take action, what happens when we build a practice based on true urgency versus false urgency, and 4 strategies that will help you create an artificial sense of urgency that works as a natural motivator.
I have created a group coaching program dedicated to supporting women lawyers, just like you, in your practice and your personal life. I’m going to help you create an even greater impact in your own life, and the lives of those around you. For more information, click here!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why we struggle to get things done when we don’t have a sense of urgency.
- What the motivational triad entails.
- The reason allocating time for a task without urgency often doesn’t work.
- How we train ourselves to use urgency as a cue to start tasks.
- What happens when we rely on true urgency as a motivator.
- How to use urgency as a spice, not a staple.
- 4 strategies you can use to help create an artificial sense of urgency.
- Caveats to keep in mind about urgency as a tool for time management.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Want to get in touch with me? You can do so by clicking here or reaching out to me on LinkedIn
- If you are interested in learning more about the work I do with lawyers, click here and send me a note, I would love to hear from you.
- Ep #2: 8 Time Management Tips for Lawyers
- Ep #18: Rethink Time Scarcity and Reduce Overwhelm
- Ep #25: More Time, Less Clutter: Revamp Your Workspace With Professional Organizer, Mylène Houle Morency
- Ep #36: Systems Checklist for Saving Time
- Ep #86: Executive Function and Time Management Part 1: Before You Start
- Ep #87: Executive Function and Time Management Part 2: Overcoming Procrastination
- Ep #88: Executive Function and Time Management Part 3: Staying Focused
- Ep #89: Executive Function and Time Management Part 4: Crossing the Finish Line
- Ep #120: Returning to Work After Mat Leave (and Beyond)
- The Motivational Triad – model by Dr. Douglas Lisle and Dr. Alan Goldhamer
- The Pomodoro Method
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify and Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!