I was recently invited to speak at an in-person event where the topic was time management and executive functioning, and how these two things fit together in a legal practice. One of the guests asked a question about procrastination in relation to a situation that comes up in their practice, and I’m inviting you to think about this for yourself in your own life.
Procrastination is a very common challenge for all of us with human brains and executive functioning skills. We simply don’t leap into tasks we don’t want to do. Whether it’s drafting an argument, doing your billable hours, or making a doctor’s appointment, there are tasks that feature regularly in your life and practice that you chronically push off, and it might be a sign there’s something going on there.
The heart of today’s episode looks at why you’re procrastinating and what it’s trying to tell you. You’ll hear why the habit of procrastination is not something to be ashamed of, six underlying problems I’ve seen that might be contributing to your chronic procrastination, and how to begin figuring out what your specific root cause might be.
I have created a group coaching program dedicated to supporting women lawyers, just like you, in your practice and your personal life. I’m going to help you create an even greater impact in your own life, and the lives of those around you. For more information, send me an email!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Where you might often procrastinate in your practice.
- The 2 main strategies for overcoming procrastination.
- Questions to ask yourself about your procrastination.
- 6 underlying problems I’ve seen that are contributing to lawyers experiencing chronic procrastination.
- My top tips for managing your time in relation to procrastination.
- The skills you’ll need to figure out the root cause of your procrastination.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Want to get in touch with me? You can do so by clicking here or reaching out to me on LinkedIn
- If you are interested in learning more about the work I do with lawyers, click here and send me a note, I would love to hear from you.
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ep #54: Defining Your Legacy for Inspiration, Direction, and Impact
- Ep #79: Problems You Solve v. Problems You Manage
- Ep #86: Executive Function and Time Management Part 1: Before You Start
- Ep #87: Executive Function and Time Management Part 2: Overcoming Procrastination
- Ep #88: Executive Function and Time Management Part 3: Staying Focused
- Ep #89: Executive Function and Time Management Part 4: Crossing the Finish Line
- John Gottman
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify and Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!